Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pre*Post Performance Review - Melba Hall, University of Melbourne

Blogging once again at the weirdest hour; 3:30am it is, in the midst of exams.

Think thats weird? Try this, bathing at 2:00 am!

Nothing new, i suppose.

How about this, Cutting hair at 2:30 am! Yes, for whatever reasons, I don't know! But it happened to me.

I've figured thats the disadvantage of knowing the contours of your hair too well. You can't keep your hands away longer than how long the shape of your hair lasts. I for one has too much hair! Gee! Oh, and I was discussing with a friend about what exams do to us and how it affects our nocturnal activities - I started googling for my friends, he started naming his children, she started writing song lyrics; all in the wee hours of the morning. If this goes on, I might just start making Sambal someday! HAHA! Exams should definitely be abolished.

Anyway,

It was the night before a performance with 'The Melbourne Sinfonia' - affiliated to the Royal Children Hospital, at Melba Hall, Melbourne University; when the scissors started snipping away; when my hsemate had to hold his pee ( sorry! that wasnt intentional, noticed your lights were out, haha! ), and my desire to look better struck. verdict - NO regrets. I look awesome =) *aussie style*

It turned out that I was the youngest player that night. The people there are, Seasoned ( not old ), though I was pretty amused by their age. Juliette, who sits next to the Concert Master, looks just like an ordinary grandmother, but when she plays the violin, it just blows you away. She is a retiree 'concert master' of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (MSO) equivalent of MPO in Malaysia. Not only her, there're many others who play just as well despite their age. You should definitely consider this as your retirement hobby!

The performance went just fine for Brahms Piano Concerto no. 2 (but Tim Young - pianist - was excellent), as I was obviously not well prepared for this, since I hadnt heard of it enough coupled with all the frequent key changes + synchopations throughout. I made some really embarrassing mistakes! haha, eg, having played an extra chord when everybody else were at 'rest'. LOL, I could still remember vividly how my desk partner tried to warn me about the double rest ( instead of 1), but it was all too late. Thank god I was in second violin div, well hidden from everybody else.

On the other hand, I know I played Beethoven Symphony no. 5 well, our second piece. A piece almost overly used today, till it might have become a phobia to some; I was bored of that piece initially, but after going through it (playing it) with Conductor Joannes Roose, it blew me by how beautifully this piece is organised. It was definitely the blast of the night. Listening and playing to it, is DIFFERENT! I for one thoroughly enjoyed the excitement of playing it. I couldnt have enough of it!

GOsh, I have tried uploading the pics like A million times and its always an error. Sorry for another wordy post.

I shall stop here..

3 comments:

Sarah.... said...

Hey Tse Han, glad to hear you're having a good time over there! Keep updating!

TseHan said...

Hi Sarah,

Wow, you still visit my blog!
Sorry for slow updates on my blog, and for wasting your time clicking on it =(

hehe. alright back to study!

Thanks!

emily said...

Hi,

I'm Jules and I work at bestrank.com, a company interested in blog
advertizing. I found your blog engaging and I'm contacting you to ask if
you are interested in blog post sponsorship.

If you are interested, kindly mail back for confirmation(jules@bestrank.com).Please include your blog's URL.
Looking forward to doing business with you.

Sincerely,

Jules Viernes
BestRank.com